Sunday, October 27, 2013

Recognizing the Visual Culture of Our Students' Places

Seeking Refuge



I made these sculptures after spending 10 years in secondary education with the politics of No Child Left Behind.  I grew frustrated with the effects of over-crowded classes, standards and assessment and witnessing money going to administering a never ending series of tests instead of ways that could positively effect students. I built these sculptures to reflect  frustrations of trying to  reach students using  standard curriculum when my students came from such diverse places.

This series of sculptures were constructed at the end of those years with discarded  clay structures my high school students had built and other greenware objects I had made or found. I glazed the objects, applied decals  and constructed each sculpture with a particular student group in mind.
Shotgun


Only through the Backdoor


Dreamer

Safe House



1 comment: